Saturday, September 6, 2014

Books: Men's Best Friend. They neither bark nor bite.

I mean when you are kid, novice, curious and horny to experience the world but with no means to do so. What should you do?

Read books. At least that's how it started with me.

Books. Man’s best friend. They always give answers without asking bullshit questions. Not at all boring like people! 

Anyhow, here's my list of ten favorite books, for Indi Blogger IndiSpire section, along with the reason to support it.

    1. Mahabharata by Vyasa -  Not as a religious gobbledygook but as a masterpiece of literature. It has 10,000 characters, each with their back story, conflicts and resolves. The conflicts of thousands of years old civilization still ring true today. 

    2. Ramayana by Valmiki - Goes without saying, don’t treat it as some religious book or as a sermon to glorify god. I say screw god, I mean not literally but just put Him aside and read it as literature. The arch of characters and wide expansion of story. The ethics. The adventure. The dilemma. The devotion. They don’t write such stories anymore.

    3.  The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho  -  Most people think it’s about hero’s journey to learn the art of transforming shitty metal into gold. But I think it beautifully tells how we can transform our perishable human body into something shiny and valuable as Gold by our will power and deeds through our brief stay on this beautiful blue planet.

   4.  Duma Key by Stephen King  -   I was sitting alone on top floor corridor at night facing backwards to stairs because I wanted to avoid the noisy room-mates and enjoy  this novel. Stephen King hypnotized me into his world in such a way that I was scared to be alone and felt as if someone was coming up the stairs to get me. I know I sound like a pussy. But anyhow, I changed my position so I can keep my eyes on the stairs. It’s a delight to read.

   5.  Moby Dick by Herman Melville - If you want to feel the sense of adventure of whale hunting without facing the rough sea. Just pick this book. But as you read, you realise, it’s not just about hunting white whale but about life, and how you should always keep an eye on your ultimate goal without losing sense of reality around you.

   6.  How To Make Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie – This is a must for everyone who decides to live and grow among humans. If you want to go live as ascetic in caves of Himalayas then don’t read it. Otherwise, it’s the best book to learn about human behavior and how we should improve our conduct to rise up through social hierarchy while enjoying what we do.

   7.  Catch 22 by Joseph Heller - I re-evaluated my scale of what should be regarded as “funny, satirical and mind blowing confusion of comedy” after reading this book.  If you want to relieve your stress, enjoy a good laugh and meet an ensemble of totally crazy characters then read this book. Yossarian - the lead character wants to live forever or die in the attempt. Must read for fans of satirical comedy.

   8.  Walt Disney: The Biography by Neal Gabler – No kid has grown up without getting affected by the magic of Disney cartoons. The showman Walt Disney, his passion for cartoons, for life, for work, his perseverance through his struggles is so contagious that it will charge you up to do better in life, in whichever field you are or want to be in. Just have a go at it.

  9.  Charlie and the chocolate factory by Roald Dahl – Even a primary kid with Basic English language skills could read it. Such is the simplicity and brilliance of this great writer to tell an extra ordinary tale of a poor kid Charlie who just loved chocolates but couldn't afford one. It will for sure bring you back to your childhood and the good old days.

 10.  11/22/63 by Stephen King – This fabulous novel has got time travel, love story and the world’s best conspiracy till date – The assassination of John F Kennedy. From page one you are in the hands of a master story teller who will send you back and forth in time without making you sick or distorted.

I must confess that I am an avid fan of Stephen King hence I had to mention him twice. But since the list is limited to ten books, I am not doing justice to many other brilliant books I have read or about to read.  I am a fanatic of conspiracy thriller so I must mention the name “Dan Brown”. Read any of his books from Digital Fortress to Inferno. You will be swept away. 

2 comments:

  1. The Mahabharata!! real glad to know that. I am not a big time Ramayana Fan but I loved your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your point about choosing Mahabharata over Ramayana:) I am glad you liked the list. Keep being a rebel.

    ReplyDelete